Monday, May 01, 2006

The search for the missing muse.

The other night, as I lay in bed, ideas of how I would revise my WIP raced through my mind, but it was late and I knew that the next day was a long work day, so instead of writing, I went to sleep. (sigh) What a mistake! Now my muse has gone on vacation, and while the ideas still rumble around in my head, I have no desire to write. Ergo, the quiet blog and my absense from here as well. It's nothing personal. It's just one of those periods.

Perhaps, I am not a true writer. Maybe if I had writing in my blood, I wouldn't experience these dry moments where even the imagination seems to have jumped ship for Kuala Lumpur and refuses to come home until she gets laid. I can relate. LOL No, no, my sex life is fine, but maybe my imagination needs a good massage, including some edible massage oil, a hunky, ripped masseuse (male, of course), and then a bout of sex so hot it could peel the corneas off her eyes. LOL

Or maybe I just need a day of pampering.

(sigh)

Nah. The muse is the one needing to get some, not me. Not that I'm adverse to a little nookie. Nookie is always good.

So, do you ever have these dry spells? Does your muse do a disappearing act? Or is she/he always riding your ass? (Maybe that's why it looks so good, huh, Zinnia? G)

Kit

5 Comments:

Blogger Diana Castilleja said...

Oh, Gawd! Kit if you only knew!! My capricious muse is the most unreliable, poor excuse for a work ethic, creature I've ever met!! She shows up... maybe, for a day of work a week.

But when she does.. Man, 5K, easy... Or not, depending on how cooperative she is truly being.

I love to write. I honestly believe now that I've found this outlet to avoid insanity, I'm obsessed. I have no idea if others share the distress of Writer's OCD, but I know I have it.

So when I can't write, when things just burn up in the ozone and the images I'd had turn to mush, I feel... well, defeated. I think to a degree we all do when it falls apart like that. Case in point, my darn WIP... But I am hoping that the recent turn of events on that has cured my ills.

So, yeah, I'd have to say, my muse spends more time partying than I do, but when she gets around to cracking that whip, the pages fly and it feels... ethereal. I guess that's why I haven't ever considered quiting.

Hugs and bunnies... :)

8:32 PM  
Blogger Jpatrick said...

When I can't (read: don't feel like) write, I read.

4:10 AM  
Blogger Emmy Ellis said...

Cripes, when I get a good novel in my head I can bash it out in no time. Reason I write them so quickly is in the past I've 'had a rest' then didn't want to finish the bloody thing at all. That's how Pervalism and Quits each got written in two weeks flat. Garou Moon hasn't done too bad, had a small break in between because of real life intrusions but only have 4K to go and it's finished.

I find I have a fleeing muse (nearly typed musing flee for a minute there) on short stories. I hate writing those now, prefer the long haulers.

Ignore the musey bitch and she'll come back. Muses don't like to think they aren't wanted. If she knows you're pining for her to come back, she'll stay away longer.

Yes, send her to Coventry and watch her come crawling back into your fingertips/brain.

:o)

5:44 AM  
Blogger Charli Cole said...

Well, luckily, I'm my own muse. One of my personalities is.

I never struggle through dry spells because I have so many racing thoughts.

My mind just never stops.

That has its advantages, but it also has its disadvantages.

I also tend to serve as a muse for just about everyone I know. And I enjoy it.

There's no way in hell I'm going to be able to bring all of my ideas to fruition. So, why not give them to someone else?

9:20 AM  
Blogger Zinnia said...

Even a cutie patootey won't inspire me to write if I'm burnt out. You have to feel good and be energetic to write. I've learned that over the years.

But hey, it doesn't stop me from thinking about those cutie patooties, ROFL!

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home