Saturday, April 22, 2006

For Michelle. (grin) Because she demanded it. LOLOL

The WIP is going well. I have added a couple thousand words to it and have somewhat mapped out where the rest of it is going. I am aiming for 12K words. Not much to some of you people who are verbose, but for little old me, this is some feat. LOL

I was noticing the other day while responding to Kristen Painter's blog post regarding character names that I had several that started with either "s" or "m". I wonder if that means I am into S&M and I don't know it. (grin) Could it be Freudian? If it was, wouldn't there be a penis mixed in there too? (grin) Yeah, I know I'm awful.

I am thinking I will try submitting it to Freya's Bower again. They were so wonderful with LC that I have become the loyal author. LOL Or maybe I just know a good thing when I've got it.

Anyway, here's a little blurb about the new WIP, tentatively named "The Whispering House":

Looking for a quiet place to grieve the death of her mother, Eleanor Brown buys a house on the outskirts of Fresno and gets more than she bargains for. Four weeks in, the whispers begin. She doesn't believe in ghosts, but someone, or thing, keeps calling her name and she hears giggles. Then a mysterious cowboy named Michael appears, a man she can't seem to resist nor forget. Strange things are happening at her house. And the more involved she becomes with Michael, the more things seem to happen. Is he the cause? Or is he her soul mate?

Not the best blurb, but I'm afraid to give too much away. I want to leave some surprises. :)

Can someone tell me how to write a good, no, an incredible blurb? I've done some searching, but most just tell you what they think is good not how to do it. Why? Because, they don't know how to do it.

Kit

11 Comments:

Blogger Charli Cole said...

For the blurb:

What helps me...

I think of what I would hear if my book were made into a movie and the "preview guy" was describing it during the previews.

You know that distinctive voice. Everyone knows his voice.

You'll be amazed at what you hear when it comes to him describing your book.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Charli Cole said...

Thanks so much for your post, Kit.

I'm going to have a full report on your novel soon. And I have to warn you...I can be long-winded.

As if you don't know that already.

I'm sure you've visited my blog.

In regards to writing a novel with so many twists and keeping everything straight:

I actually had training!

A chaotic life...full of drama and twists such as this.

I kid you not, luv.

I also follow a very simple formula.

I decide early on how long I want the novel to be.

If I decide on 400 pages and I have five main characters...then I divide 400 by 5.

That gives me 80 pages a piece for each character.

I like my scenes to be AT LEAST five pages.

So, that helps me figure that each character is going to have a total of 16 scenes.

And before I really sit down to write...I write out what those general scenes will be.

And since I have all the general scenes written out, it enables me to keep everything straight.

Simple.

Works for me.

12:18 AM  
Blogger Emmy Ellis said...

Thanks for the post, Kit! Ha!

LOL @ preview guy, and it does work!

Blimey Cali, I don't plan at all, I'm terrible, I just write. I think if I planned everything my writing would fall flat, I hate anything rigid and set in stone - something from my past that makes me like this now - so I just write as it comes and hope for the best.

Kit, LOL @ S&M - but hey it could mean anything: Stew & Marbles. Sticks & Mud. Sick & Malibu.

Weird moment, just ignore that!

I'm the same with WCP though. I kind of feel at home there so anything I write that is longer than a short story I'll offer it to them as they take care of me very well.

Bless 'em.

:o)

1:15 AM  
Blogger Faith Bicknell said...

Four weeks in, the whispers begin.

Do you realize that rhymes? LOL!

6:16 AM  
Blogger Kit Wylde said...

I will have to try that, Cali. I've never thought of doing that, but I'm new to this, so I have some excuse. I'm very interested in hearing what you have to say about LC too.

When I write, I'm not quite as planned as you are, Cali. I'm more like Michelle here, although this particular short story is a bit different as it presents some challenges for resolutions and a few other things.

What can I say, Michelle? When I think of S&M, it has nothing to do with Salamanders & Milk (Now, that's a _lovely_ combination! LOL) and everything to do with sadomasochism. The only problem with this is that I'm not too keen on pain, giving or receiving it. LOL

LOL, Faith. I didn't even notice.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Emmy Ellis said...

This is where we're different then Kit!

You've got a filthy mind and I haven't!

HA!

Snot & Milkshake!

:o)

9:59 AM  
Blogger Emmy Ellis said...

Shoes & Mutton.

:o)

8:58 AM  
Blogger Emmy Ellis said...

Shelves & Mutton.

:o)

12:55 PM  
Blogger Kit Wylde said...

And that's why I write erotica. (grin)

Snails and Mold. Ew!

Soothing & Massage. :)

Kit

2:07 PM  
Blogger Emmy Ellis said...

Hahahaha!

:o)

12:09 AM  
Blogger Jana Armstrong said...

In my opinion, blurbs are all about the tease.

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home